10 Advantages Of Okra, ( 8 ) is Mind Blowing
The okra, also known as “lady’s fingers” is a plant that grows on a tropic and warm climate that produces green beans.
The young products are harvested by hand and prepared in many different ways to complete the traditional meals of many cultures.
The okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) is believed to be rich with healthy materials, and is in further research of its potential in helping in diabetes. Meet this incredible vegetable and learn how to prepare it by yourself and keep its rich texture.
10 advantages of the okra
- It has low level of calories – the okra contains only 30 calories in 100g and is often recommended in the diet programs.
- It doesn’t contain saturated fat and cholesterol
- It can help in stabilization of the blood sugar levels by lowering its absorption in the intestines.
- It contains a lot of fibers and acts as a natural laxative that can help you get rid of intestine prison in a natural way. The okra is rich with mucilage (natural herbal glue), which is sticky, fat substance that lubricates the large intestine and helps in elimination. The fibers of the okra nurture the good bacteria in the intestines and help in keeping the pH balance in our digestive system.
- It is rich with vitamin A and other antioxidants – the green fruits contain beta-carotene, lutein and xanthine that together with the vitamin A help in keeping the good sight and keep the skin silky and healthy. The okra is connected to the prevention of cataract and is useful for prevention of acne and black heads.
- Because it is rich with antioxidants and fibers, some relate it to prevention of cancer, especially the colorectal tumor.
- It is rich with vitamin C, which helps the immune system. The okra is related to the prevention of cough and cold. Because the vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties it could use in treating the asthma symptoms.
- It is rich with B9. 100g of okra contain 22% of the daily recommended dose. The folic acid is especially needed in the period of planning pregnancy and during the pregnancy, it also helps in preventing defects during the delivery. The food rich with folic acid also helps in cleaning the lungs.
- The okra is rich with minerals, including the iron, magnesium, calcium and manganese.
- It contains vitamin K, important for the health of the bones and plays a great role in the blood congestion.
How to use the okra
The fiber vegetables, with 5-15 cm length are best when they are taken fresh and young. If you buy pieces that have been left on the plant for too long, they become hard don’t have nice taste. Avoid those that look like dried and have spots in other colors.
If possible, eat them the same day when you buy them. You can keep them in the fridge for 1-2 days. Wash the vegetable before using it, it might have been exposed to chemicals or pesticides.
Some prefer to take off the two ends of the product, while some eat them as a whole.