Beets are extremely unique healing vegetables, which keep their nutritional value both cooked and raw. Hippocrates has viewed beets as a plant for medicinal purposes. Throughout centuries this vegetable was used to treat various diseases.
It has been used in the treatment of many blood disorders like iron deficiency anemia. You should know that beetroot has a lot of iron in its content, and it’s actually right after garlic regarding the amount of iron. Considering the iodine content it’s the second to Kale. Beets supply our body with important nutrients, antioxidants, as well as stimulate our metabolism.
Reasons to add beets in your diet
- Beetroot contains betalains and polyphenols which reverse the free radical damage effect and oxidative stress.
- It also contains a lot of different vitamins such as B complex vitamins, and PP for capillary walls strengthening.
- This vegetable contains a lot of minerals as well – folate and potassium for a healthy heart, magnesium, good for bone health; phosphorus and iron for energy; copper, for destroying free radicals; iodine involved in thyroid hormones biosynthesis, and magnesium.
- Beetroot has cobalt in its content, which helps the vitamin B12 formation. This vitamin together with the folic acid is crucial for the formation of red blood cells.
- Due to folic acid, beets rejuvenate our bodies, contributing to new cells creation.
- Beetroot removes toxins from our bodies due to betalain pigments.
- It contains betacyanins, which prevent cancer cells growth.
- It improves digestion because of dietary fibers.
- Beetroot stimulates metabolism, and helps Vitamin D digestion in the body.
- This beneficial vegetable inhibits dementia because of the great concentration of nitrates which are transformed into nitrites in mouth. Studies discovered that nitrites are opening up the blood vessels, thus increasing blood flow and helping the oxygen to reach to those areas lacking oxygen.
- It also contains pectin in greater quantity than carrots or apples, which deals with getting heavy and radioactive metals out of the body. Pectin also prevents spreading of hazardous intestinal bacteria and inhibits development of many diseases.
This said, beets offers a plethora of healing and medicinal properties including lowering blood pressure, cholesterol amount, providing anti-sclerotic effect, strengthening capillary vessels, improving fat metabolism, brain and live function.