How a Nutritious Diet and Exercise can help you get from Fat to Fit !
Many people want a quick fix for this problem which generally has built up over time, so the only sensible way to achieve this goal is a balanced, sensible approach. A little of what you fancy every now and then, reducing the amount of processed food that you eat, increasing the amount of fruit and vegetables that you eat, 5 portions a day is recommended, and ensuring you get enough protein and carbohydrates to keep your body healthy. Also essential is to eat good fats. Unsaturated fats are essential in our diet. The body needs fat in the diet to help with the absorption of certain nutrients.
When people embark on a diet, the main aim is to lose weight. However, focusing on the health benefits that your diet offers will help to boost your immune system, keeping you well for longer, and will also help to strengthen the body to cope with the exercise that needs to accompany the dieting.
Nobody wants to lose weight to be left with saggy skin. The body needs to be fit and strong at every age to cope with life. Losing weight and becoming fit will enable you to do this.
So where do we start?
Take it one day at a time and remember your eating habits need to change in order for you to lose weight.
– Be sure to eat breakfast. This will get your metabolism going for the day.
· Porridge with fruit is a good option and will keep the body satisfied for longer. Be sure to use a low fat milk, skimmed, semi skimmed or soya. Or use water if you like the taste.
· Egg on toast – scrambled, boiled or poached egg with whole meal bread.
· Low-fat Greek yoghurt & fruit- Greek yoghurt has almost twice the amount of protein that regular yoghurt has.
· Fruit Smoothie – Full of flavor and packed with vitamins and minerals. You can add fruit juice, sparkling water, or low fat milk. Adding a few nuts will add a source of protein.
· Beans on Toast – Satisfying and nutritious. Can be eaten with a side salad to count towards one of your five a day, but also ensures you stay fuller for longer.
· Jacket potato – Using either a regular potato or a sweet potato. Sweet potato will contribute to your potassium intake. Essential for brain function, regulates heart rate and helps our nerves and muscles work, manages blood pressure and much more.
Fillings – Baked vegetables, low fat cottage cheese, tuna in brine or spring water, salmon, scrambled egg. All will fill you up and provide good nutrition.
Add a side salad to add to your 5 a day
· Chicken, with skin removed – Serve with rice, whole wheat pasta (loaded with vitamins and minerals and contains two to three times the amount of fiber as processed pasta. Baked potato or home-made potato wedges. (Choose one option for accompaniment). With this you can have as much vegetable as you like, as long as you do not add fat. Cabbage, carrot, butternut squash, courgette, runner beans – the list really is endless.
· Lean Pork or Beef – Accompanied with one of the above
· Fish – As above (rice/ whole wheat pasta or potato)
Snacks – Having one or two snacks using your 5 a day of fruit and vegetables is an excellent healthy, non- calorie laden way of enjoying a filling snack. Low fat muesli bars are a nice snack with a afternoon cup of tea.
– If you haven`t exercised for a while and find yourself puffing quite hard after walking up a flight of stairs, it is highly advised that you start gently or ask your doctor for advice to ensure your chosen activity it safe for you.
· Yoga or Pilates – Both gentle ways to exercise and strengthen the body and help it to become more flexible. Excellent for core strength.
· Swimming – Gentle on the body as it is not weight bearing so this reduces the strain on the joints.
· Walking – Aim to walk 30 minutes 3 times a week, you can increase the length of time and the regularity as you get fitter. If you are unable to walk for 30 minutes to start with, start with 10 minutes 3 times a week and build it up gradually.
It is important to remember that losing weight and getting fit will reduce the risk of many health issues but will benefit your life in so many ways. Being fit for life – walking to the shops, bending to tie your shoe laces, doing the gardening. These may all seem like simple tasks, but as you get older, if you remain overweight and unfit these simple tasks could become beyond your reach. Nutritious Diet along with Exercise helps you to turn fat to fit.
I am Rosie Alison, a Blogger and Freelancer. I love reading blogs, and writing for them on various themes like Travel, Auto, Lifestyle, Education and Health. As of now I am doing research of ehic cards.